Saturday, April 27, 2013

Confessions of a bored engineering student

If you're going to ask me why I wrote this, I should tell you that I have an SPA board practical exam tomorrow.
If you know me well enough, I needn't say any more.
If not, well, I'm an engineering student.
Constant and recurring boredom is a known side effect of most educational courses, especially among teenagers.
Why? A common explanation is the "Too cool for School!" ideology.
I begin to think that there is more to it than that. As teenagers, our minds are on overdrive.
Well, of course! Which 50 year old wants to know about what's happening in the life of all his 1000+ Facebook friends? Leave alone Twitter, Instagram and all the other social interactive platforms.
We feel more inclined to fulfilling our social 'responsibilities', than focusing on 'what really matters'.

Social Responsibilities:



1. Acquire the latest intelligence about your close friends, enemies even

Some call this activity gossiping. There is much more to it, trust me. Sleuths could learn a lot from the intelligence gathering techniques of teenagers. Not to be sexist or anything, but especially teenage girls.  


2. Social Interaction.


         Most people I know will make it a point to check their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the countless other networking platforms way more religiously than anything else. This probably comes under the first header, but it deserves a mention of its own. Most teenagers spend an average of 2-3 hours hooked on to their smartphones looking for the latest updates in their online lives. That takes me to my next point.. 

3. The Smartphone.

The dawn of the smartphone has revolutionized the everyday life of us, teenagers. Most parents would claim that it’s one of the biggest distractions and quite honestly, they’re absolutely right.
When was the last time you went more than a day without checking your smartphone? The most I’ve gone without checking it is about 3 hours. My first semester exam, that.
Smartphones have given wings to the networking capabilities of teens (much like Red Bull gives wings to everything else). We don’t have to wait to get home and switch on our good old PC in order to get the latest updates. It’s all in the palm of our hands. The launch of IM applications like WhatsApp is leading to the death of our traditional SMS messaging. And why not? Technology is what leads us forward, right?
Moving on to the topic of Smartphone addiction, I’d say that we’re all addicted to our smartphones. And that is just putting it mildly. If you’d like to explore extremities, let me introduce you to a typical BlackBerry user. I am yet to meet one that lets their phone out of their hand, even. Their addiction is more BBM related than the phone itself. Because honestly, what’s in a BlackBerry apart from that? And maybe the lovely physical Qwerty keyboard?

I’m drifting off topic again. I do that a lot. I begin somewhere, and end up somewhere else. Yes, I’m a drifter. If only I lived in Tokyo!  
Okay, that was lame. Like most other jokes I make.

On that abrupt note, I'm going to end this little post.

Have a productive day ahead.
No, seriously. I'm sure you have something productive to do. Get up and go do it.



2 comments:

  1. To begin with,it's really nice to see a blogpost from you.
    The topic you chose is really nice to start with.
    I really like the introductory part.
    Hope to see some interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Seema :D
      Thanks for the feedback :)
      Speaking of new interesting posts, lets hope I get bored again soon enough :P

      Delete