Monday, April 29, 2013

The 'Confus' Mumbai Local


Before I really begin, here are a few things I think I should clarify.

No, 'confus' is not a word. I've been using it with a select group of people since 2010, so forgive me for getting habituated to using it.
What select group?
Well, my batch of IT students at St. Xavier's College, Fort.
Why?
Our IT professor was a man of many talents. English wasn't one of them. Neither was a sense of dressing. He would use words that he'd invented himself so frequently that we'd begin to doubt our own knowledge of vocabulary. Although, most of the words he used were derivations of actual English words. 'Confus', in this case being a derivative of the word 'confused'. And I'm pretty sure that's what he meant, too. Except that that's not what he used to say.
"Did I make you the confus?"
- things he would say.
Anyway, I seem to have drifted away, again, by the looks of it. So, I'll get back to the confusing nature of train travel in the city, and tell you about The Confus (what we used to call him) a little later.

Firstly, I am of the opinion that local trains are the best way to travel in Mumbai. Most other means of public, or even private transport for that matter have to face the wrath of this ever present evil that we affectionately call traffic. *sigh* 
The Bombay Suburban Railway has the highest passenger density of any urban railway system in the world.
That really isn't all that hard to believe, given our population. On an average day, this system carries 7.24 million passengers. If you're a regular traveller, I bet you've already started picturing all those people cramped into a local train, people hanging out of the train, holding on to it with all they've got.
If you aren't a train person, I'd love to take you to Dadar station on any weekday between 6 pm to 8 pm. Just watching the expression on your face as the drama unfolds would be more than entertaining.

Now coming to the Confusing part.
In any local train, there are six main categories of compartments, each having it's own set of advantages and disadvantages.

1. General
For anyone and everyone. More commonly known as 'Aaaam Aaadmi'. (That 'Aaaam' makes me crave for mangoes.)

2. Ladies Compartment
It's a little obvious, no?

3. Luggage Compartment

4. General First Class

5. Ladies First Class

6. Handicapped Compartment

Any seasoned traveller will agree with me when I say that the Ladies Compartments are among the most under-utilised compartments in any local. Even during peak hours, there is always place in the Ladies compartment, while people are packed like sardines inside the General compartment. And don't even get me started on those few trains that run, called Ladies' Specials. Like under utilised coaches weren't enough.
I'm not against having special compartments for women. Yes, train travel is a very touchy affair, especially during peak hours, so it's completely justified. But too much of anything is bad, especially when the same area can be utilised in a much more constructive manner to ease the density during peak hours. For any Economics students out there, I'd like to compare it to the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. In plain words, it states that, "The more you have of a thing,  the less you want more of it."
While I'm talking about Economics, let me also point out that the Mumbai Suburban Railway system is one of the cheapest transport systems in the world.

Personally, I love travelling by local trains. I'd choose them over any other form of public transport any day. It feels like you're a part of something much bigger than yourself. A system, that works efficiently to make sure that you, and all those people sitting around you in that train reach their workplace on time. Yes, there are delays. Trains even leave before time. But given the passenger density and the crush load, that really isn't something I would crib about. I've been travelling on local trains for about 3 years now, beginning 2010, when I joined St. Xavier's College in Fort. And I've been travelling ever since. There is really never a dull moment. You either become a part of, or an audience to, the daily grind of countless commuters on a daily basis. 
Kurla Station, for example, offers me a king's reception every morning, on my way to college. A thousand people trying to jump into the train before it even stops, before letting anyone get out. The result is a hundred mid air collisions, followed by an unbelievably crowded Foot Over Bridge.
All in days's work, for the millions of people using this wonderful system for their daily commute.

Kurla Railway Station on an early morning.






No comments:

Post a Comment